The Prodigal
Was I never good enough for you? Did i not persevere?
Who was it who kept the family going.... Didnt i stay here?
Everyday i watched you die a little, everyday i watched you whither...
And still without a doubt, you looked past me wanting your "Prodigal" to come hither.
Everyday on the porch, looking east, looking west...
Looking for the lost one who I think you loved best...
Have you heard the stories from the city? Have you heard them SPIT his name?
They say he squanders and wanders and the stories continue 'bout his promiscuity!
They speak our name as a sigh of disdain at every sight of the opportunity.
I hate the mask he wears to hide the real identity and article,
And they mock your son with my name and i hate him with every particle
Of my existence! Never a word to you of unfair or resistance...
Father, name the time I ever breathed or acted in disobedience!
Everything I've ever done, and this is how you repay me?
I never left your side, sweating, bleeding, crying, SLAVING!
Working these fields putting food on the table...
Dont try to calm me, My name is "CAIN", father, where is "Abel"?
Yeah you know, the other one... the one that left with half your goods...
Im not putting the axe down, this is not just one of my moods!
You should hear the stories, father, of all your son has done-
In the mouths of strangers, sinners and slaves indeed our name is drudged!
I heard a minstrel the other day sing of a gluttonous dog!
Once high in status his name was known, now, your son, my brother, sleeps with the hogs!
How dare you welcome back the son, the wretch that left with half-
You never gave me a lamb, he returns and you kill a Calf?
Mother died of disappointment, not soon after he deserted-
I should know, i watched her die, my attention never averted.
You were not even there to see my mother, when she did pass-
At the gate you sat alone waiting for the Prodigal to come past.
He never came, never sent word man had only tales of dread
Of my brother whom you love, and I wished had been dead...
Don't speak to me, unhand my robe, I swear his chest, I'll cleave-
He left alone; he left with Half, and Half of him is ALL I'll leave-
Father, where is your ring? And your best robe... where is it?
Did he come to claim all you have left? His heart corrupt, and void of love, what else has he in it?
I should destroy him for all he's brought, is more that he has taken-
I would have rathered Our house in blood, and remnants of a thief's break in.
In Winter's cold and Summer's heat- No qualm had i with you-
All you have left, you say is mine- But that is not the issue-
Why do i cry? what a question asked, Father you know it best-
I was the son so Prodigal, and yet.... I never left...
Who was it who kept the family going.... Didnt i stay here?
Everyday i watched you die a little, everyday i watched you whither...
And still without a doubt, you looked past me wanting your "Prodigal" to come hither.
Everyday on the porch, looking east, looking west...
Looking for the lost one who I think you loved best...
Have you heard the stories from the city? Have you heard them SPIT his name?
They say he squanders and wanders and the stories continue 'bout his promiscuity!
They speak our name as a sigh of disdain at every sight of the opportunity.
I hate the mask he wears to hide the real identity and article,
And they mock your son with my name and i hate him with every particle
Of my existence! Never a word to you of unfair or resistance...
Father, name the time I ever breathed or acted in disobedience!
Everything I've ever done, and this is how you repay me?
I never left your side, sweating, bleeding, crying, SLAVING!
Working these fields putting food on the table...
Dont try to calm me, My name is "CAIN", father, where is "Abel"?
Yeah you know, the other one... the one that left with half your goods...
Im not putting the axe down, this is not just one of my moods!
You should hear the stories, father, of all your son has done-
In the mouths of strangers, sinners and slaves indeed our name is drudged!
I heard a minstrel the other day sing of a gluttonous dog!
Once high in status his name was known, now, your son, my brother, sleeps with the hogs!
How dare you welcome back the son, the wretch that left with half-
You never gave me a lamb, he returns and you kill a Calf?
Mother died of disappointment, not soon after he deserted-
I should know, i watched her die, my attention never averted.
You were not even there to see my mother, when she did pass-
At the gate you sat alone waiting for the Prodigal to come past.
He never came, never sent word man had only tales of dread
Of my brother whom you love, and I wished had been dead...
Don't speak to me, unhand my robe, I swear his chest, I'll cleave-
He left alone; he left with Half, and Half of him is ALL I'll leave-
Father, where is your ring? And your best robe... where is it?
Did he come to claim all you have left? His heart corrupt, and void of love, what else has he in it?
I should destroy him for all he's brought, is more that he has taken-
I would have rathered Our house in blood, and remnants of a thief's break in.
In Winter's cold and Summer's heat- No qualm had i with you-
All you have left, you say is mine- But that is not the issue-
Why do i cry? what a question asked, Father you know it best-
I was the son so Prodigal, and yet.... I never left...

3 comments:
Great perspective.. Stand fast my son. With insight comes authority and responsibility.
Thanks Son, drive safety and see you guys at Joplin. Thanks for working your time to be able to be with us.
Looking forward to seeing you.
Love you - Dad
Hi Kuresa,
May the Lord bless you in all things.
Post us a drawing from your bamboo tablet. Can't wait to see an original from you.
Love you Mom and Dad
HI Son. We skyped with everyone on Saturday. It was good to see and talk to them. Missed you and mom and I wanted to just see and talk to you too. We used the Beta skype it was really great.
Looking forward to talk to you later. Love you son.
Post a Comment