"Verse 3" is a pseudo that I developed over some years for my writing, and singing career. Its bas is found in an obvious utensil of a writer or singer... the "verse". To a poet, his verse is his very soul, his being, his conscious and subconscious. It is the epitome of everything he is feeling and the climax of the emotion condensed then in its written or read form... it takes shape. His word-play becomes a brush and paints the picture of his emotion and recaptures his travels within his own mind and heart... and projects it on to the reader's mind, face, and even shows in the readers emotion, as the poet guides the tour of a predetermined rollercoaster ride through his own mind. So, "Verse" is the embodiment of my writing. The fruit of the toil.
The "3" is in reference to just that.... the third verse in a song. Especially 3rd verses in old hymnals. Ever notice that when the song leader in church was leading the congregation, he ALMOST always led them in Verse 1, Verse 2, then he would signal the congregation in some way or speak "Verse 4". Ummm... what happened to the third verse? Did it call in sick? I know thats not what happened, but you get my point. I realized this when i was younger and always wondered "why?"... I always chalked it up to the song service was going a bit long, and we needed to move on. Then I noticed, almost every song that had four verses, we almost always sang only 3. Verses 1,2, and 4, and i was once again, wondering "Why?"
As I started writing songs of my own, and poetry, I noticed that Verse 3 was a vital, yet overlooked part of the song. This is the conclusion I found myself believeing:
Verse 1 is usually, the "new love" verse. It tells a story of a life changed and saved from dire circumstances, a great verse.
Verse 2 is usually the "honeymoon" verse. Things are still brand new and fresh, and different yet still exciting.
Verse 3 is the "trials/tribulations/struggle" verse. This is the MEAT of the song. It tells almost always of the newfound love never promised things would be easy... but shows definitely, that it is worth it, building up to the next verse. I called these the "shadow" verses.
Verse 4 is the "triumph" verse. This verse tells of all one has overcome to reach the goal/prize and all is well and all has been worth it. The problem is.... I found myself thinking "What did I triumph over?" "WHAT has HE brought me through?" Without Verse 3... We know not of what to be thankful for.
This is how I chose my name. The struggles and trials I have faced through my life, though not known to my family and even those closest to me, have been rough, and many. I believe my Verse 4 time is coming but not now. I don't consider myself down and out, I just consider myself to be in the MEAT of my life right now. A lot going on and alot of decisions to be made... Someday, Verse 4 will play for me... but not now
I believe a TRUE poet does not set up a target on a specific reader class or audience... but I believe a True poet's goal is to find the emotion welling up inside, and usher it out so the emotion or feeling or circumstance does not poison or bias his heart one way or another. We all do this, finding an "outlet". Some may exercise, some may curse, some cut themselves, substituting one pain for another, and some just choose to dwell on the emotion, the feeling, riding one emotional "high" to the next emotional fix.
The outlet chosen by a poet is his writing. Why? because no matter what... his writing is his own. It cannot be taken away.
Of course, this is all conjecture. How, and why a poet does what he does.
Welcome to my brushstrokes. This is my mind, the thoughts and words of Kuresa Matagisila Tupua.
I am Verse 3...
More to Follow...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Comment box is OPEN!
I love this. The way it was explained is spot on. So glad you started this blog! Looking forward to reading more from you.
PS
thanks for fixing the comments!
Good job, Res. It looks good and reads nice. I like the explanation in this opening blog. We will check back later. Thank you for inviting us.
Me again! Your adoring fan!
I love the title! It suits you very well!
Uh, did Lan say "Thank you for INVITING us?"... no big deal! Just asking! hahahahaha!
... I'll go now! Love you still!
I just kind of "opened" up this link and am so glad! Excellent work, son! wow.... keep writing, keep singing, keep on keeping on - good job! I'll be checking in more often too. Love the title, love the explanation, love the verse, love it all....wow. alofas to you my dear! xoxoxo mom
Post a Comment